Nuclear Decommissioning Authority (NDA)
The Nuclear Decommissioning Authority (NDA) is a non-departmental public body created through the Energy Act 2004. They are a strategic authority that owns 19 sites and the associated civil nuclear liabilities and assets of the public sector, previously under the control of UKAEA and BNFL.
Their purpose is to deliver the decommissioning and clean-up of the UK's civil nuclear legacy in a safe and cost-effective manner, and where possible to accelerate programmes of work that reduce hazard.
Why we were Needed
Premier Partnership have been providing executive coaching to senior personnel within the NDA since September 2011. It has been designed to specifically meet the specification given by the NDA as follows:
- 1 to 1 leadership coaching. Providing support to NDA senior managers in finessing their leadership competence as they look to progress to director level
- Technical coaching – particularly problem solving and creative thinking (this will be mainly focused in engineering, safety and commercial disciplines)
- Personal effectiveness coaching – including communication. Influencing, negotiation, public speaking, etc. This will be at both senior management and at government level.
What we Provided
In order to deliver against this requirement Premier Partnership have:
- Ensured that the prospective coaches are provided with an opportunity to explore their own individual leadership style and identify any areas for development that may be required to become an effective and strategic leader.
- Built in reviews to ensure the development activity is meeting the needs of the individual, offer alternative coaches where any relationship issues may arise.
- Provide the coachees with an opportunity to explore strategies and tools to assist in their leadership development. This include use of various tools such as 360 degree feedback, MBTI etc.
- Ensure all coaches have a sound understanding of the organisations strategy, vision, purpose and values.
How the customers Objectives were met
The coaching approach adopted provides intensive development which balances a deep understanding of leadership style preferences with theory and input on practice that will influence the participants to rapidly develop their performance.
Each coachee is provided with a ‘menu’ of pre-selected suitable coaches and will self select the one they feel is the most suitable. They can of course change coaches if they find the relationship is not working. Each Senior Manager usually has a suite of 6 coaching sessions with a further review session some 6 months after the last session ended. Although this is the standard pattern the sessions can be extended or reduced in line with individual needs.
Coaching sessions can be undertaken either face to face or over the telephone/Skype with additional support also available by telephone and email. The high level objectives, agreed with each coach, together with progress against them are reported up the management chain whilst maintaining the confidential nature of the coaching relationship.
How we delivered Cost Savings
The results from these programmes have had significant impact on the way the NDA conducts business:
- Individuals have built a deep understanding and ability to apply the skill set required to lead organisations
- They have role modeled the importance of taking responsibility for their personal development and this has resulted in a marked increase in development activities within the wider teams
- Participants understand managed risk in a way that goes beyond policy to the implications of every interaction and know how to manage it and strategically plan for that
- Participants understand themselves better and are better equipped to manage and deploy emotional intelligence
- There is greater collaborative working across the wider business perspective with leaders feeling more confident in their dealings with key stakeholders
NDA's mission is to deliver the decommissioning and clean-up of the UK's civil nuclear legacy in a safe and cost-effective manner
Award winning CMI Accredited Management Training
There are over 350,000 people employed within the Civil Service and over 70,000 of these are managers and leaders.
The Civil Service’s key strategic partner in the delivery of training is Capita. They along along with members of the Civil Service Learning team commissioned Premier Partnership to Provide Accreditation pathways for all managers at all grades of managers and leaders in the Civil Service.
Management Training for NHS Blood & Transplant (NHSBT)
NHSBT employs over 7000 people across the UK. “Communication Leaders” training was designed for very senior managers to assist them in the dissemination of the new vision for the organisation. In some instances the managers were expected to convey bad news, in others radical changes and as a result the product gave these managers the opportunity to hone their communication skills.